Bourbon or Rum Balls
A favorite style of candy for adults are Bourbon or Rum Balls. These candies can be dusted with confectioner’s sugar, or cocoa powder, or rolled in crushed nuts, to make a beautiful varied display. They’re rich, chocolatey and simple to make and putting them into a gift basket or box makes a great gift for someone who loves sweets.
Always make sure before giving these candies that the person receiving them doesn’t have an allergy to nuts. Allergies of this kind can have serious consequences for the person exposed to them. These candies contain alcoholic beverages, and are not suitable for children.
Chocolate Bourbon or Rum Balls
- 1 10-ounce box vanilla wafers, finely crushed
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 3 Tablespoons clear corn syrup
- 1/2 cup bourbon or rum
- 1 cup walnuts or pecans, finely chopped
- 1 cup confectioner’s sugar, divided
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder, (optional)
- 1/2 cup nuts (optional for rolling balls in), finely chopped, optional for coating candy)
- Crush the wafers in a blender, food processor, or put them in a large plastic bag, squeeze out excess air, seal bag and crush cookies with a rolling pin. Make sure they are finely crushed and there are no large chunks.
- Put the semi-sweet chocolate in a microwave safe bowl and microwave for about 45 seconds, stir, replace and microwave about 20 seconds, repeat process until chocolate is melted.
- Add corn syrup and your choice of rum or bourbon to the melted chocolate, stir until well combined.
- Stir in crushed vanilla wafers, 1/2 cup of powdered sugar and 1 cup chopped nuts. Place bowl in refrigerator for about one hour, until mixture is firm enough to shape.
- Roll a teaspoon-sized amount of the mixture in your palm. Continue until all balls are rolled.
- Place your choice of confectioner’s sugar, cocoa and chopped nuts into separate small bowls, and roll a few of the candies in each bowl, making a varied mixture of appearance. Or you can simply make them all the same, with just confectioner’s sugar, just cocoa, or just nuts.
For Gift Giving:
Packaging these little candies is easy with the little candy wrappers like the ones used in boxes of chocolates bought from the store. Putting a dozen or so into a box neatly with these candy cup wrappers is a snap, and makes them look professional and as special as they are! They’re available in both white and brown, and either one will show off your gift elegantly.
For Guests At A Gathering
You may also want to make these for a holiday gathering or housewarming at your home. Putting them out on trays for your guests to help themselves is a welcoming touch. Since they’re covered with cocoa, confectioner’s sugar or nuts, they won’t dry out, but will still be easy for guests to pick up. The paper candy cups shown make it less messy too, but be sure to provide handy waste baskets for the discarded wrappers.